Adventure Tourists Promote Rainforests.
How can ecotourism help orangutans, indigenous people and the rainforest?
Your tourist dollars make the rainforests worth more standing than cut down for plantations. You are giving local people a great incentive to maintain healthy, biodiverse rainforests. Instead of earning money through illegal logging and other non-sustainable activities, people would be earning money by working in a sustainable profession.
Note: Homestays are a good option for some ecotourists, as this further supports local families financially (just be aware that you will probably not be staying in posh conditions).
Travel Information and Guidelines:
For information on travel to Indonesia and Malaysia, visit the websites listed below. Please note that we have not visited all of the areas promoted on these websites, nor have we worked with all of these companies. There are many companies out there if you do some research on the web.
It is important to look for programs that advertise the following information:
- You are not guaranteed to see a wild orangutan.
- There are strict guidelines about how close you can be to a wild or rehabilitated orangutan.
- You'll need to check with your doctor about travel vaccines and malaria preventative medicines, well in advance of your trip.
- If reforestation opportunities are offered, ask what maintenance they do for each seedling after it is planted (keeping seedlings free from competition is critical to their survival).
- Ecotourism should be socially, environmentally and economically sustainable, and it should be community-based.
Red Ape Encounters, Kinabatangan River area in Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia - http://www.redapeencounters.com/
Samboja Lestari Ecolodge & Packages, East Kalimantan, Borneo, Indonesia - http://www.sambojalodge.com/
Ecotourism treks to Gunung Leuser National Park, North Sumatra, Indonesia - http://www.gunung-leuser-trek.net/
Ecotourism in Indonesia, sites on Borneo and Sumatra - http://www.indecon.or.id/
Ecotourism on Borneo - http://www.borneoecotour.com/front/
Gunung Palung National Park, West Kalimantan, Borneo, Indonesia - http://www.world-wildlife-adventures.com/directory/indonesia/wildlife-park.asp?sanctuary=Gunung+Palung+National+Park&state=West+Kalimantan+Province
Lubuk Baji site, in Gunung Palung National Park, Borneo, Indoneisa - http://gunungpalungnationalpark.wordpress.com/lubuk-baji-sites/